Even when a work zone is inactive, you must pay close attention to the way your surroundings have changed. For example, work zones can present challenges such as closed or narrowed lanes, reduced speed limits and lane shifts.
No matter how hard you try to avoid work zones and the stress of driving through them, it’s not always possible. So, when you find yourself in this situation, here are some safety tips to follow:
- Maintain your focus on the road: There’s never a good time for distractions when driving, and that’s especially true when navigating through a work zone. Stay focused on the roadway itself, other drivers and any workers who are in the area.
- Obey signs and flaggers: For instance, the speed limit in a work zone is likely to be slower. Knowing this will help you adjust your speed, thus reducing the risk of causing an accident. If there are any flaggers in the area, obey their requests.
- Use your headlights: Even if you’re driving during daylight hours, using your headlights is important. This increases your visibility, while also making it easier for construction workers to see you.
- Leave more space: It’s never a good idea to tailgate other drivers, so you shouldn’t do so in a work zone. Things can change in a hurry, so others may need to quickly grab their brakes. If you don’t leave enough space, there is an increased risk of a rear-end collision.
- Beware of debris: You’re driving through a work zone, so it’s natural for construction debris to be in the area. Even though workers do their best to keep it off the road, mistakes happen. Haven an idea of what you’ll do should debris cause you to make a quick decision.
These are just a few of the many steps you can take to drive safely in a work zone. When you do these things, you’ll feel more confident in your ability to handle anything that comes your way.
In the event that another driver doesn’t take as much caution, thus causing an accident, call for immediate help, receive medical care and then take the steps necessary to protect your legal rights and receive compensation for damages.